Understanding Heat Pump Water Heaters for Building Departments
Heat Pump Water Heaters are rising quickly in popularity due to their energy efficiency and substantial rebates and incentives. There are special considerations that need to be taken for them to be efficient and work well. This class will explain heat pump technology and the different types of heat pump water heaters. It will also discuss the special compliance issues whether the water heater is newly installed or a replacement.
Target audience: building department code enforcement personnel.
- Understand the fundamentals of unitary (individual) heat pump water heaters (HPWHs).
- Be able to identify HPWHs in the field.
- Understand the energy code requirements for unitary HPWHs.
- Become familiar with the related compliance forms and documentation.
- Become familiar with Best Practices for Code Compliance.
- Date: March 15, 2023
- Instructor: Russ King, Coded Energy
- Categories: Heat Pump Water Heaters, Title 24, Energy Code
- Presentation: Slide Deck
- Handouts: Residential Water Heaters: Guide to 2022 Energy Code Requirements; HPWH Permit Supplement Template; Individual Dwelling Units and Heat Pump Water Heaters