Heat Pump Water Heaters for Energy Code (Private Sector)
Description: We’ll walk through the basics of heat pump water heaters (HPWH) for homes and provide critical compliance information for the California Energy Code 2019 Residential Standards. We’ll cover why we are seeing HPWHs in the code now, how they are different from other types of water heaters, highlight the benefits and some potential constraints, and review how a designer and/or builder/installer would document a HPWH for Energy Code compliance, with specific focus on single family homes or where one HPWH serves one dwelling.
Audience: Architects, designers, builders, sub-contractors, code officials, suppliers/distributors and other related fields.
- Understand the fundamentals of operations and applications for unitary (individual) heat pump water heaters (HPWHs).
- Understand the energy code requirements for unitary HPWHs.
- Know how to read the related compliance forms and documentation.
- Become familiar with design and installation Best Practices for Code Compliance.
- Mike Horgan, In Balance Green Consulting
- Jennifer Rennick, In Balance Green Consulting